If you plan to live in Bigfork but work elsewhere, you’re not alone.

Many Bigfork residents are freelancers and contractors that work with/for out-of-state companies. There are some things to keep in mind before you make the move. For instance, if you need access to reliable, fast Internet, be sure you are moving to an area where you can get it. Some parts of Bigfork are too remote for high speed Internet—or any Internet at all.

Many establishments offer wi-fi access including the Bigfork Area Chamber of Commerce.

You may also be required to register your business with the state or complete an Independent Contractor Exemption Certificate (ICEC) form. You can contact the Montana Department of Labor and Industry with questions.

If you would like to start a new business, you can contact the Montana Secretary of State for information about new business licenses, assumed business names and other resources.